Community Service and Hands-On Projects
Saturday of Service
Saturday of Service is the opportunity for Soroptimists from all over the world to join together on one day to carry out service projects that improve the lives of women and girls. It is a unique opportunity to raise awareness about Soroptimist as an international organization of women helping women.
Clubs undertake service projects year round, but having clubs participating in one event all over the world on the same day can help to raise public awareness about Soroptimist. This annual event, held on the first Saturday in March, was conceived of and executed by nine SIA clubs in the Phoenix area of Arizona, USA, in 2002. The initiative caught fire and in 2003, more than 100 clubs participated worldwide. And from 2004 to date, the numbers have increased dramatically as the idea was shared around the globe.
International Goodwill & Understanding
SI Phoenix has adopted a long term project with the town of Fronteras, Sonora, Mexico. We have partnered with the Las Chicas Bravas, a grass root organization of women citizens, that have organized to work on stimulating economic and social development in the region. Read more about the Las Chicas Bravas. Read more about the SI Phoenix long term project.
SI Phoenix continues to fund scholarships for the fall and spring semesters that will permit ten girls in Fronteras, Sonora, Mexico to attend high school.
W.I.S.E. Program, powered by Soroptimist International of Phoenix and The Fresh Start Women's Foundation
The goals of this program are to remove the barriers for women seeking their GED diploma and to provide encouragement and support for further education.
The objectives include:
- Removing barriers to attaining the GED – barriers include transportation, direct instruction, child care, test taking skills, and test taking fees.
- Mentoring women to increase self-confidence for taking GED test and to influence the graduates to continue their education through the community college system, or professionally recognized certification programs.
- Combining efforts with a well-known and respected foundation to increase our collective impact and bring attention to both organizations in the community.The name of this program will be called “GEDPlus, powered by Soroptimist International of Phoenix and Fresh Start Women’s Foundation.”
The program will be run in 8 week sessions (morning 9:30am – 12:30pm, Tuesday-Thursday), and 10 week sessions (evenings 5:00pm-7:30pm, Tuesday-Thursday). These sessions will alternate, allowing women the choice of timeframes based on their work and home life schedules.
- June 24 - Aug 6 (8 weeks)
- Sept 3 – Nov 7 (10 weeks)
- There will not be any sessions scheduled for November or December
On January 1, 2014, the GED exam is changing. If a student has started taking the GED set of 5 exams in 2013, they must complete all 5 exams in 2013. If they fail to complete all 5 exams in 2013, they must start over in 2014 with the new format. Therefore, the 2013 schedule will allow a student to complete the program study session AND complete all exams by the December 1st deadline for 2013.
- Jan 7 – Feb 27 (8 weeks)
- Mar 4 – May 8 (10 weeks)
- May 13 – Jul 3 (8 weeks)
- Sept 9 – Nov 13 (10 weeks)