Community Service and Hands-On Projects
powered by Soroptimist International of Phoenix and The Fresh Start Women's Foundation
The goals of this program are to remove the barriers for women seeking their GED diploma and to provide encouragement and support for further education.
The objectives include:
- Removing barriers to attaining the GED – barriers include transportation, direct instruction, child care, test taking skills, and test taking fees.
- Mentoring women to increase self-confidence for taking GED test and to influence the graduates to continue their education through the community college system, or professionally recognized certification programs.
- Combining efforts with a well-known and respected foundation to increase our collective impact and bring attention to both organizations in the community.The name of this program will be called “WISE, Women Investing in Successful Education" powered by Soroptimist International of Phoenix and Fresh Start Women’s Foundation.”
The program will be run in 10 week sessions (9:30am – 12:30pm, Monday, Wednesday, Friday)
- June 24 - Aug 23 (10 weeks)
- Aug 26 – Nov 7 (10 weeks)
- There will not be any sessions scheduled for November or December
On January 1, 2014, the GED exam is changing. If a student has started taking the GED set of 5 exams in 2013, they must complete all 5 exams in 2013. If they fail to complete all 5 exams in 2013, they must start over in 2014 with the new format. Therefore, the 2013 schedule will allow a student to complete the program study session AND complete all exams by the December 1st deadline for 2013.
2014 Schedule - TBD